It happened in Quebec in 2011. No one knew about it until 2012. What was it? A bunch of people stole millions and millions of dollars worth of syrup from a warehouse over a matter of months.
How it happen? Here are the details:
- The federation of quebec maple syrup producers was being stolen from.
- They are the legal “mob bosses” of the syrup industry. They control who can buy syrup, who can sell syrup, and who can make syrup in Quebec.
- There was a rival syrup distributor who had an inside man on the job who gained access to the warehouse legally because he rented a section it.
- Hundreds of barrels of syrup were replaced with nothing or water.
- It happened over several months, not just in one night.
- They could sell it on the black market. Some of it made it overseas, and to Vermont and New Hampshire.
- An accountant went to do the annual books and climbed up on a barrel and it was
- 18.6 million dollars’ worth of syrup was stolen .
- After a long investigation, 22 people in total were arrested.